Since the food in our 72 hour kits are a few years old now (you know me and old food). I thought I should redo them today (or start on them at least).
**disclaimer - I in know way know what I am doing. I just try to do the best I can with the information I have been given. Any tips, helpful knowledge or advice is GREATLY appreciated.
PART I - The Food
We made these quick and easy food kits in an enrichment activity a few years ago. All of the food for 3 days fits into a gallon zip-lock bag (if you use larger items like ramen and juice boxes you may need to use a 2 gallon bag).Here is what you will need to make one like mine:
3 - packs of instant oatmeal, variety of flavors
3 - packets of hot chocolate
3 - granola bars, variety of flavors or small packs of crackers
3 - beef jerky sticks
3 - apple cider packets or small juice boxes
3 - packs of soup mix (Lipton chicken noodle) or ramen
3 - small cans/packages of fruit (1 fruit cocktail and 2 cans peaches OR 3 fruit snacks)
12-pieces of small hard candy (6 tootsie rolls, 3 dum-dums, 3 smarties)
1 - small pack of gum wrapped in aluminum foil to prevent smell from spreading to other foods
1 - plastic spoon

Meal Planner
(It is VERY important you print this out and put it in with the food so you can make it last 3 days)
DAY ONE
BREAKFAST 1 oatmeal & 1 hot cocoa
LUNCH 1 granola bar/cracker, 1 beef jerky, 1 cider/juice
DINNER 1 soup, 1 fruit
SNACK 4 pieces of candy
DAY TWO
BREAKFAST 1 oatmeal & 1 hot cocoa
LUNCH 1 soup, 1 fruit
DINNER 1 granola bar/cracker, 1 beef jerky, 1 cider/juice
SNACK 4 pieces of candy
DAY THREE
BREAKFAST 1 oatmeal & 1 hot cocoa
LUNCH 1 granola bar/cracker, 1 beef jerky, 1 cider/juice
DINNER 1 soup, 1 fruit
SNACK 4 pieces of candy
The food in these kits needs to be rotated every year, so pick a date and make sure to rotate! You also may want to make some variations, based on taste and your kids ages.
PART II - Hygiene
Here is an idea I found on what to have in your Personal Hygiene Kit - (I have never done this part, so suggestions would be appreciated)
In a gallon size Ziploc bag, put the following items:
1 full tube of toothpaste,
1 packaged toothbrush
2 washcloths (1 for personal use and 1 for dishes)
1 bar of soap
1 pack of wet wipes
1 small bottle of anti-bacterial gel
1 chapstick with sunscreen
1 comb
feminine products and baby items
prescription medications
PART III - Everything Else
I also found this information online and have not compiled it yet. It sounds overwhelming and expensive - any thoughts, tips or ideas?
BIG backpack to hold everything
¨ mini set of scriptures
¨ compass and map of local area
¨ change of clothing in Ziploc bag and pair of sturdy shoes
¨ 72-Hour Food and Water Supply & Hygiene Kit
¨ water sanitation tablets
¨ solar/hand crank radio with flashlight & extra batteries
(test it every 6 months and replace batteries as needed)
¨ whistle
¨ 100-hour emergency candle
¨ 12-hour light stick or flashlight with extra batteries (need 2 sources of light)
¨ multifunction pliers/pocket knife w/ can opener for food
¨ mess kit: plate, utensils, and cup
¨ wool blend blanket
¨ emergency sleeping bag
¨ (3) 20-hour hand and body warmers
¨ poncho with hood
¨ tube tent
¨ waterproof matches
¨ fire starters (need 2 sources of fire)
¨ tri-fold shovel
¨ nylon utility cord
¨ leather gloves
¨ duct tape
¨ memo pad and marking pens
¨ mini-sewing kit
¨ toilet paper
¨ first-aid kit
¨ basic first-aid & CPR booklet
¨ sunscreen w/ insect repellent
¨ flat-fold stove & Sterno can fuel
¨ several large trash bags for various uses
¨ important papers in Ziploc bag: financial documents, photos of family members, driver’s
9 comments:
thank you, thank you, thank you!
Thanks, Brenda! I am totally going to do this.
This is great info.
As far as the last few items on the list, just buy them as you can. I know my MIL's ward would have one or two different items they would put orders in for each month. Since they were usually submitting a big order the items tended to be much cheaper. I'll get the info to you if you want it.
ALSO.... do you know what the recommendation is for how much water per person for 72 hrs??
I need to update mine. It's been far too long. I'm with Heather on the big stuff, I would just add one thing to your grocery list each time you go...pretty soon you'd have it all.
I forgot about the water oops! You’ll need 1 gallon of water for cooking the items in the food kit and an additional 2 liters of water per person per day for drinking.
Brenda, this is so weird. I finally, for the first time ever, pulled out the bits and pieces of 72 Hour Kits we have to organize it all and fill in the blanks. This was so great to have because LDS.org has nothing on 72 Hour Kits anymore, and I couldn't find anything online for good food for three days. Where did you get the "extra" list? I've been getting my list from FEMA. Thanks for the added motivation. I got some great tips.
I need to bookmark this post for sure! thanks for all the tips and what a great reminder!!
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, but didn't know where to go to even start. Thanks for such a great and informative post!
Post a Comment