Yesterday I was determinted to spend some time online searching for some household cleaning tips! Sounds fun, I know!
What I was looking for and what I found:
-How to remove water spots from glass shower doors - I have tried "everything" on this one. squeegees in the shower, Windex every day, after shower sprays....etc and nothing worked. I was getting sick of the fumes and they still looked horrible. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have to scrape them with a razor blade! Then I found a site that suggested Magic Erasers! I wouldn't have even tried it! I have some on hand for removing crayon and markers from everything, but that is all I have used them for. It took NO effort and was clean in under 10 minutes! I followed with Windex and they are BRAND NEW! I am pitching the squeegee as it is quicker and easier to just use the erasers on a weekly basis or as needed 

I also used these to remove the grayish spots from the shower floor. I have used Soft scrub with bleach, over and over as well as many other products and nothing took them off, except Mr. Clean! He is now my clean shower hero!
-How to clean laminate wood flooring with something other than water - Windex is great or 1 gallon of water with 1 cup vinegar in a spray bottle. It works amazingly.
-Getting the smell out of stinky towels and dishrags- Anyone else have this problem? First I ran my washer with nothing but 1 cup of vinegar in it on the hottest water setting. I read this is something that should be done occasionally to remove excess detergent and bacteria from the washer. Then I ran a load of towels through with detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar on the hottest setting, did and extra rinse cycle and dried them on the longest setting. Guess what, no more stinky towels! What read is that I have been using fabric softener to try and make them smell better and when they were extra stinky I would just use more softener and extra detergent, but in turn the softener and excess detergent coats the fibers and traps in bacteria. Don't use softener and use the correct amount of detergent or less (watch out for those concentrate ones!) - especially in front-load washers. I don't use softener on our clothes anyway as everyone around here as sensitive skin issues, so I have been using vinegar instead. Also, do an extra rinse cycle on your towels to make sure all the detergent is rinsed out. I washed every towel in my house yesterday and they are soft and smell great!
Looks like my web searching will save me some $$$ and make my life easier!
8 comments:
Another place I use vinegar is in the dishwasher along with the regular detergent, great for glass and plastic!
i have been using the magic eraser in my shower on the glass doors for a while. i also read that you can put Rain X on while they are clean and then the water will bead up and run off--i haven't tried that part yet...but i'm going to.
About the RainX - I heard that it will cause a build up?
We love the magic eraser around here but I've never tried it on my glass shower door. I'm so excited to do that because we have hard water spots aplenty! Thanks for the tip!
Oh my gosh, I have been trying to find something for my shower doors for a while now--nothing gets off those hard water spots!! I am so excited to do this, I always have Magic Erasers. And I am so going to have to do the towel thing.
I... LOVE YOU! I've been having the same problems with my shower doors and towels, and it bugged me to no end! Now I have the answers! Thanks so much! You rock.
Thanks so much for the awesome tips. I LOVE Magic Erasers but I had never used them on my glass shower doors and have been suffereing as you did with dingy glass!
OMGosh girl - am just LOVIN' reading through your blog posts!!!
Having had a commercial cleaning business in which we cleaned newly constructed homes prior to sale, one more interesting fact about using liquid softener or dryer sheets with towels is that it lessens their absorbency a lot.
This, of course, would mean more for towels that you wish to use, let's say, to clean windows. Not only are they MORE absorbent without the use of softening agents, they will also be less prone to streaking.
Thank you for the WEALTH of info on "stinky" towels. I will keep in mind the vinegar treatment. Only makes sense as that is also recommended for cleaning one's coffeemaker periodically.
Hugs,
Linda :)
Post a Comment