Thanks to those of you that gave suggestions on the previous post... So I thought I would take some of the info Lindsay gave me in her comment and try it today....
ME: Colton, If you need to potty in your pants today that is O.K. go ahead and do it.
COLTON: REALLY!
ME: Sure, no big deal.
COLTON: O.K., but can you please tell this to daddy so he won't be mad at me...
ME: I will do that.
So he looked at me like I was totally CRAZY! I don't know about this, we'll see how it goes.
6 comments:
Oh wow. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you. Can't wait to find out what happens!
I am so curious to see if this works!
I too want to hear how this turns out!
Today was no different than any other day... He still had an accident. I should probably continue with it for a week or so, but he was way to excited to pee his pants! When he did I just asked him to change and he was devistated - He felt he was in trouble because asked him to change. I think the whole thing was a little confusing for his little mind.
To tell you the truth, I think it is 80% psychological and 20% laziness (or the inability to stop what he is doing to go and trying to hold it for too long!) Our pediatrician also suggested we meet with a urologist from Children's when they come to town, if anything for ideas for the daily accidents. As for the night time we have been told it will be a problem for a while as bedwetting is hereditary and his daddy had that problem into his teens.
Lindsay- Thanks for the idea...
Nicole - we have tried cold showers, but it just made it worse (more frequent). When he is in a high stress situation it seems to just get worse. Also, I just couldn't handle it - Kenny was the enforcer of it, as I sat in agony downstairs.
So for now, I think we will just, chill about it, try to ignore it and not make it such a FOCUS in our lives and hope that he outgrows it come Kindergarten!!!
In my years of first grade(teaching, not attending), I never had a frequent flier in that dept. Meaning, I think that usually the positive aspects of peer pressure, and the excuse to get out of class for a minute to go potty may outweigh laziness. . .
Also, likewise about the rough days. CALL ME, COME OVER we can comiserate or LAUGH
I am grateful for a new friend
I have a couple of nephews who also had bedwetting issues till they were 11 or 12. So sad, but they did outgrow it. It's got to be so hard to be in the middle of it right now though, just waiting for him to grow out of this phase.
I think Megan made a good point. I can attest to it's truthfulness just having him here in preschool. It has never been an issue! He just quietly gets up and goes to the bathroom whether we're in circle time or at our centers. Maybe the embarrassment of it happening in front of his classmates is enough for him to make the conscious effort in realizing when he needs to go. I know he'll do the same in Kindergarten.
Post a Comment