Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Am Blessed Thankful Thursday

  1. I am so thankful to be a mother.
  2. I am thankful for my mom and all that she has taught me and continues to teach me about life, love and motherhood.
  3. I am thankful for my “mom friends” who are always there to lend an ear, hand or heart when I need advice, a break or just someone to talk to.
  4. I am thankful for Heavenly Father and the blessings he has given me as a mother. He has given me a calling in life beyond all others and although it is challenging and frightening at times, it makes me feel very special to know that he gave me this gift.


This past year I have made the transition from being a Working Mom to a Stay at Home Mom. I would have never thought the change would be such a challenge. I thought I would jump right in, be a pro and be singing and dancing around the house all day with my kids “carefree.” So here is my reflection of the changes I have faced this past year.

Before I was a Stay at Home Mom I:

-Had a housecleaner. Now I clean the toilets and find satisfaction in a clean floor – even if it is only for 30 minutes.

-Had a closet full of cute trendy clothes and wore them every day. Now I am excited for Sunday’s, date nights and any chance I get to primp up.

-Always had time for me. Now I realize there is much more to life than me!

-Enjoyed hours of adult conversation, but missed the babbles, squeals and first words.

-Cried each time I left my babies at the sitter. Now I cry, because everyone else is crying, and I can't get away!

-Made lunch appointments. Now I make picnics for the park.

-Sent emails. Now I BLOG!

-Cherished every moment I had with my kids, as I watched the days fly by without them by my side. Now, the days still fly by, I still cherish my time with them, but I also cherish the time away.

-Never had time to exercise. Now I have the time, but the desire and energy is hard to come by.

-Traveled a-lot for work, to sunny relaxing destinations. Now I travel to Wal-Mart, the Doctor and If I'm lucky everyone takes a nap when we get home.

-Was never as happy as I am now. I am so Thankful for my sweet spouse and his desire to also have me be home with our kids. With this change our challenges are new, but it is great to see us overcome them one-by-one and enjoy each step of the way.

I have been blessed!

Happy Mothers Day all you mommys out there!

8 comments:

Kristin said...

I love this post! I so glad you love staying home, I think every stay at home mom worries that she might really be missing out by not working. I'm glad you feel like it was the right decision!

Natasha said...

This was a great post. I am thankful for you!

Leslie said...

I loved your list. Being a stay-at-home mom is a lot of work but so much to be thankful for. I loved what you said about clothes - cause if I ever buy cute new clothes it's usually for a special date coming up or for church. Catch me mid week and I'm not so cute! And your comment abuot crying made me laugh. I feel like crying too when every kid around me is crying too. But when I leave the kids with a sitter, I usually have a grin cause I get an hour or two break finally!

Megan said...

I made the transition a couple of years ago. It was tougher than I thought too. I went a little stir crazy at first and felt my brain sort of changing into something different. But, you are right, it is worth it! The kisses and I love you's make up for the tantrums and crying--most of the time

Anna said...

This post made me cry, seriously. I can relate to everything you said. I really look up to you that you made that plunge to do what you felt is right, I have so many friends that want to but are scared. There are days we all wonder if we were meant for this. Sometime I take for granted the blessing of being with my kids, thanks for the little reminder.

Kasi French said...

I am far from where you are in life but someday when I grow up I hope to have even half of the love and logic you have! You are amazing! Happy Mothers day to one of the greatest moms I know!

::lindsay said...

This was a fun post! I didn't know you recently became a stay-at-home mom. What did you do before?

Shayla said...

"crying cause I can't get away..." Isn't that the truth? I loved your list, too. It's nice to be reminded that we shouldn't take for granted this wonderful opportunity we have to stay at home. Some days I really wonder. :-)