Monday, January 24, 2011

It was a GREAT weekend at home! (Well, kinda?)

There is just something wonderful about a good weekend at home.  Better when everyone is healthy and happy, but still good to be home.  A collection of events transpired to make this a stay-at-home weekend.  First, hubby had to work so that forced it, second 5 of the 6 of us are sick so that sealed the deal (you could say 6 of the 7 if you count our "ROOMIE" - my sister Michelle - yes she lives with us now, but that is a whole story in itself that deserves its own post).  Anyway, with 2 on antibiotics and 3 (or 4) on over the counters to counteract the coughing, hacking, dripping yuk-yuk we decided to lay low.  I could complain about being the healthy one and having to tend to everyones needs with a smiling face as they cover me with germs and goo, but it was kinda nice having them all in a sickly state, a break from the usual "make me feel like I live in a tornado" routine.  I provided meds and food and drink to keep them happy all while I organized!  It was kinda fun (for me anyway).  Question is - who is going to take care of me and all the healthy ones when I am the sick one next week?

Part 1:  Friday we hit the Dr. offices to jump start the stay-cay, Ken to the general Dr. and I to the pediatrician.  Don't you just love Dr. offices?  Waiting in rooms with the sick and healthy, old and young sitting in chairs in awkward silence...  Having kids helps with conversation a bit.  I always get a lot of "how cutes" and "how old is he/she," but what I really love is when I have all 4 with me and I get the stare, or the "wow, you are a busy mom" or "boy, your hands are full" (duh)!  I think I could write a book of all the things people say to the mother's of 4 children, for a few examples go here.  You would think I have 13!  Seriously, it's crazy!  As the girls and I waited we made conversation with a young grandmother who was there with her daughter and granddaughter.  She was talking baby with Miss Paige and it came up that I have 2 boys as well.....That is what triggered it - the STARE... the you have got to be kidding me...what do I say...holy cow STARE!  Then it came "you are a busy mommy!"  Ummmm, yep!  - Really, it doesn't bother me at all.  It actually cracks me up!  I couldn't wait to get on the phone with my mom and tell her to put up a tally mark - I got another one!  Up until this one, I liked to think that I got the "STARE" because of my youthful beauty and being that I am so well put together most days, but she burst my bubble.  I was not put together at all - sweats, no makeup, and nasty - needs to be cut and dyed hair.  (Dang - I'm not as cute and young as I thought...maybe I do look CrAzY!)  Lesson learned: make a hair appt. in the morning!

2 comments:

Kasi French said...

I'll come take care of you and the little ones ... just let me know when the bug travels to the Mama of 4!

KAMurray said...

Brenda... You rock as a mom and I give you kudos for taking care of all our kids (including my brother which I know can be the biggest baby of them all when he is sick)... I love you and I think you are gorgeous all made up or not.